You might be wondering what knitting has to do with our revolution of kindness, but here at Thousand Hours we’ve realised that the creative amongst us can offer gifts and talents that really make a difference.
Last year we encouraged knitters and crocheters to come together and create baby blankets and clothes for those children who are born into our local women’s refuge. The response was amazing. Not only did you create some gorgeous snuggly gifts, contributing many hours to our total, but you also continued to knit throughout the year and these blankets have been gratefully received by a number of families in need.
This year we’re nominating three local causes to knit for in the month of October:
– Hats and scarves for guests at the Winter Night Shelter
– Baby blankets and clothes for children at the women’s refuge and families in need referred to our clothing bank, Storehouse
– Poppies for a Remembrance Day Display as part of the Ashford Gateway Poppy Project
So why is this important? Well, we could of course purchase mass produced scarves and blankets for those in need, but this is about letting people know that they are worth our time and talent. Giving them a beautiful hand stitched gift places value upon them as a person and our heart is to bless them.
So, here’s how you can get involved:
1. Choose a nominated cause and source yarn and a pattern. We’ve got some suggestions on our pinterest board (http://pin.it/zc_g5TN).
2. On October 1st pick up your hook or needles and get stitching!
3. Keep a track of how many hours you stitch for during October and log your hours using the Log Your Hours form at the end of each project.
4. Come along to our Great Big Knitathon on October 12th, 10am-12pm at Dobbies Ashford (Crocheters are of course welcome!). This is a great opportunity to meet local people who share your passion for all things yarn and have a chat over a coffee and a knit!
5. Donate your finished projects to The Warehouse, Ashford Vineyard or The Beehive, Poppies can be donated at the Civic Centre or Ashford Gateway (library).
We can’t wait to see what you make, and how much fun you have creating something special for these amazing people.
For more information or any questions, please do get in touch.
And don’t forget to share your knitting/crocheting stories and picture updates on social media, tagging us in and using the hashtag #ThousandHours17.